Close this search box.

How to Legally Change Your Name in NC

You’re married now, woohoo!! All the details of planning your wedding are now in the rear view mirror. While you’re waiting for your photo gallery, if you’re planning to change your name, there are just a few more details to check off your list. We here at Carolina Country Weddings want to make this process as painless as possible so that you can get back to the fun activities – like enjoying married life!


By Rachel Kelley, Carolina Country Weddings

Changing your name does take a few steps, but, never fear, you can do it! And, we will go through each step below.


Step one: Obtain a copy of your marriage license.

Visit your local register of deeds and request a copy of your marriage license. We recommend getting two copies to have for your records. Each copy is $10, and you will be required to show proof of identity with your license or passport, as well as your social security card.


Step two: Notify the Social Security Administration (SSA).

This next step will legally change your name with the Social Security Office and you will be given an updated Social Security card with your new married name! Don’t worry, you will get to keep the same Social Security number. The best part is, changing your name on your Social Security card is completely FREE. So, how do you obtain a new Social?

First things first, print and fill out a Form SS-5 (This is just an application for a Social Security Card). All of the instructions for filling that form out are stated in the link provided.

While we used to be able to drop these forms off in person, due to COVID, most places require you to mail in your form instead. Check with your local office to see what protocol you should follow. You’ll mail the forms with the following documents:

  • Your marriage certificate

  • Proof of identity (for example, your driver’s license or passport)

  • Proof of Citizenship* (for example, your birth certificate or social security card)

Step Three: Change your name on your license.

First, it is important to check online at your local DMV and see if they are requiring appointments. If so, book an appointment and you’re almost done!

In my experience of recently changing my own name, I found that I did not have to provide a notarized DL-101 form. This is listed on the NC DMV website as a requirement. However, I was told this is only necessary for out of country weddings.

What you will need:

  • A certified marriage certificate

  • Your current driver’s license

  • Come picture ready

  • $14 to replace your license (cash, check, or card)

  • And of course, a bit of patience (HA). If you’re like me, the DMV is not your ideal way to spend a couple of hours, but once you’ve made it to this step the rest is smooth sailing.

  • Your final steps may include updating your accounts (Example: credit card, banking, utilities, etc).


Once you have completed these steps, you are officially DONE. Congratulations to the NEW Mrs.!

To learn more about Carolina Country Weddings and to see all that their beautiful venue has to offer, visit their profile HERE.

Photos courtesy of The Family Films

Download your Free Guide


Following this handy list of to-do’s for the year leading up to your wedding day is sure to keep you on task, on track, and on budget!