If you’re a pet owner, you know that these beloved best friends are a part of the family, so it’s not surprising that some brides and grooms want to include them in their wedding celebration. Whether they’re participating as the ring bearer or simply walking down the aisle, here are a few tips to consider before you decide if and how you want your best friend included in your big day!
- Make sure your pet has what it takes to be a part of your day. If they are not comfortable in new surroundings or around strangers, it’s probably best to leave them at home.
- Be sure your guests and vendors would be comfortable having your pet included in your day! If you have a flower girl that is terrified of dogs or a photographer with pet allergies, it’s probably not a great idea to bring your furry friend along.
- Check with your venue to make sure your pet is welcomed and get a clear understanding of their pet policies.
- Be selective in what type of participation you want your pet to have in your wedding. If you have a brand new puppy, chances are he will not be that cooperative if you’re wanting him to walk down the aisle with the ring bearer pillow in tow. You know your pet’s temperament, so give him a duty that he’s fully capable of handling.
- Practice makes perfect! Just like teaching a new trick, you’ll want to rehearse the routine with your animal as much-and as often-as possible. If the actual site is not available for practice time, consider practicing in a variety of locations so your pet is comfortable with new surroundings.
- Have a pet sitter! Regardless of how simple the task may be for your pet, delegate someone to be in charge of the pet because you and your fiancé will not be able to give them your full attention. This person should be one that knows your pet and one that your pet feels comfortable with.
- Get your pet picture perfect! Schedule a trip to the groomer’s before the wedding to ensure your friend looks and smells his best!
- Go with the flow and be flexible! Even if you’ve mastered the tasks at hand before the big day, things don’t always goes as planned. Your pet may have accidents, or even get stage fright once it’s showtime. Be prepared to cancel his participation at the last minute if necessary.